Division of Medical Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Provider FAQs

Client FAQs

What are Medicaid and ARKids First?

Medicaid is a program that helps pay for medically necessary medical services for low-income Arkansans. It uses state and federal money to pay for those services. DHS runs the Medicaid program in Arkansas. Medicaid and Medicare are different programs. Medicare is federal health insurance for people aged 65 and older, and for some people who have a disability.

ARKids First is health insurance for children. ARKids First has two programs: ARKids First-A and ARKids First-B.

  • ARKids First-A is Medicaid for children.
  • ARKids First-B is for people who make too much money to get regular Medicaid, but do not have health insurance for their children.

When you fill out the ARKids First application, you can apply for both programs. DHS will decide whether you qualify for either program.

What If You Have Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

SSI is for some people who are age 65 and older. It is also for some adults and children who are blind or have a disability.

If you can get SSI, you will get Medicaid. But if you lose your SSI benefits, you might also lose your Medicaid benefits.

Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office for more information.

Who Can Get Full Medicaid Benefits?

It depends on how much money you make, how much property you own, your age, and your situation. Most people who can get Medicaid are in one of these groups:

  • Age 65 and older
  • Under age 19
  • Blind
  • Disabled
  • Pregnant
  • The parent or the relative who is caretaker of a child with an absent, disabled, or unemployed parent
  • Living in a nursing home
  • Under age 21 and in foster care
  • In medical need of certain home- and community-based services
  • Disabled, including working disabled

Learn more about Medicaid benefits here.

DMS Address

P.O. Box 1437, Slot S401
Little Rock, AR 72203-1437

DMS Phone Number

Fax: 501-682-1197

Learn About Programs

Apply For Services

Find Service Providers

Do Business With DHS

Become A Provider

Report A Concern

Copyright 2021 © All Rights Reserved. Arkansas.gov