Close this search box.

Consumer Long-Term Care Information

Consumer Long-Term Care Information

Alternatives to Facilities

When a loved one begins to needs more care than the family is able to provide, facility placement is just one option for meeting that person’s needs. The State of Arkansas also offers alternatives that let the loved one remain at home and receive care and services there.

In-home services are available primarily through the ARChoices program of the Division of Aging, Adult & Behavioral Health Services. For more information about programs for the aging in Arkansas, visit the Aging & Adult section.

Choosing a Facility

While alternatives to facilities are available and often appropriate, for many facility placement is necessary and preferable. Learn how to choose the facility that is the best for your loved one and you.

Choosing a Long Term Care Facility

Find a Long Term Care Facility

Search by name or location or use the Arkansas map to find facilities by county.

Long Term Care Facility Search by Name or Location
Long Term Care Facility Search by County Map

Minimum staffing for Long Term Care Facilities

Minimum staffing requirements are included in the regulations that pertain to each type of facility. To view them, please go to Regulations, view or download the regulations document for the type of facility that interests you, and navigate to the staffing section.

Minimum Staffing

Facility Report Cards

Medicare’s Nursing Home Compare website lets you get information about nursing homes, including the results of the most recent survey in the Online Survey, Certification, and Reporting (OSCAR) database.

That site also offers detailed information about:

  • the facility, including the number of beds and type of ownership
  • the residents of the nursing home, including percentages of residents with pressure sores, urinary incontinence, and other issues
  • the operations of the nursing home, including summary results of the facility’s last inspection
  • the staff of the nursing home, including the average number of hours worked by registered nurses, licensed practical or vocational nurses, and certified nursing assistants — per resident per day

Medicare’s Nursing Home Compare (Opens in New Window)


When the Office of Long Term Care inspects or surveys nursing homes, any failures of the facility to meet regulatory requirements are noted on a form known as a 2567. This form specifies the regulation that was violated with a tag. It also notes the scope and severity of the violation.

Each nursing home is required to post its most recent 2567 in an area where residents and their families and visitors can see it easily. Learn how to understand these important reports.

Violation Reports | About 2567 Forms

Getting Financial Assistance

To receive Medicaid-funded, long-term care facility services and alternative services, such as ARChoices for seniors or TEFRA for children, the applicant must meet both medical need criteria and financial criteria.

A medical needs assessment documenting why services are necessary must be submitted by the physician and approved by OLTC staff nurses and physicians before payment. An appeals-and-hearing process is in place for persons who are denied services based on medical criteria. For more information concerning medical criteria, call 501-320-6398.

Financial eligibility is determined by the Arkansas Department of Human Services’ Division of County Operations and not the Office of Long Term Care. If you have questions about financial eligibility or the kinds of services offered by Medicaid, you may:

  • Contact your local county DHS office for more information
  • Call 1-800-482-8988 for information on eligibility and enrollment
  • Call 1-800-482-5431 for information on services covered by Medicaid
  • Visit the Division of County Operations section

Filing a Complaint

The Office of Long Term Care investigates complaints against facilities as well as allegations of abuse or neglect of residents, theft of residents’ property, and poor quality of resident care. Investigations are confidential, and you do not have to give your name when you file a complaint. If you choose to give your name, the Office of Long Term Care informs you when the investigation is completed.

You can file a complaint by telephone, fax, e-mail, letter, or electronically via Provider Portal:

  • Phone: 1-800-582-4887
  • Fax: 501-682-8540, Attention Complaint Unit
  • E-mail:
  • Letter: Complaints Unit, Office of Long Term Care, P.O. Box 8059, Slot S407, Little Rock, AR  72203-8059

When you send a complaint, please provide as much of the following information as possible:

  • Name of the resident or residents
  • Name of the facility and its address
  • Name of the facility administrator
  • Names of persons who witnessed or have knowledge of the incident. Please state the relationships of these persons to the resident (for example, employee, spouse, or daughter).
  • Facts of the incident. Please include the date and time and provide as much detail as possible. For example, is this a continuing situation or an isolated incident? Also, please let us know whether you or someone else contacted the administrator about the incident and, if so, what the administrator said or did in response.

If you want the investigator to contact you, you must provide your name, address, and telephone number or e-mail address.

The State of Arkansas also has an Ombudsman Program to assist residents and families. Link to the website below.

Arkansas Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (Opens in New Window)

Family Council Guide

The Family Council Guide is for nursing home staff members and residents’ family members. It offers guidelines for organizing a new family council or reorganizing an existing council. These guidelines are not mandatory; they’re just intended to aid you in meeting the goals of your family council.

Family Council Guide


TEFRA is a category of Medicaid that provides care to disabled children in their homes rather than in institutions.

TEFRA Information and Forms