Challenge Process for DCCECE Criminal Background Check Results
- If an applicant is not approved after the background check is processed, DHS will send the applicant a certified, restricted letter to the address on file with DHS. An applicant may choose to challenge the results of a background check with the law enforcement agency that has the record for the applicant, including Arkansas State Police and the FBI.
- The applicant must email the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education (DCCECE) at email@example.com to let us know that the applicant wants to challenge the results. Applicants will have 10 business days from the date of the certified, restricted letter to let DHS know that the applicant will be challenging the results of the check.
- The applicant’s status during the challenge process will remain as “pending” in the provider online account. The applicant would not be eligible to work in the position during the challenge process.
- The applicant must email DCCECE at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 calendar days from the date of the certified, restricted letter and give DCCECE evidence that the applicant’s challenge was successful. Otherwise, the applicant’s status will be updated to “not approved” in the provider online account.
- Applicants can find information on how to get a copy of their national criminal history record or to challenge, correct, or update their record on the FBI website http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks or the Arkansas State Police website https://static.ark.org/asp/criminal/faqs.html