Contact Us

Types of Facilities

<Back to Consumers Overview


The following types of facilities are licensed by the Office of Long Term Care:

Nursing Homes

Nursing homes provide total care for their residents--meeting needs from social to dietary to medical. They are staffed by licensed nurses and certified nursing assistants. Nursing homes accept a variety of payment methods, such as private pay (which includes insurance), Medicaid, and Medicare. No age requirement applies to nursing home placements.

Click Title for Link Type
Nursing Facility Regulations PDF

Intermediate Care Facilities for the Mentally Retarded

Intermediate Care Facilities for the Mentally Retarded (ICFs/MR) specialize in providing services to developmentally disabled individuals. Arkansas has two types of ICFs/MR: "large" facilities are those with more than 15 beds, and "small" facilities are those with fewer than 16 beds.

Among the large ICFs/MR are the Human Development Centers, which are operated by the State of Arkansas through the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services of the Arkansas Department of Human Services.

Four private ICFs/MR provide placement only for children: Millcreek of Arkansas, Arkansas Pediatric Facility, Brownwood Life Care Center, and Easter Seals Children's Rehabilitation Center.

To obtain a list of small ICFs/MR, call 501-320-6194.

Click Title for Link Type

Residential Care Facilities

Residential Care Facilities are licensed to provide services 24 hours a day to individuals older than 17 who are not capable of independent living and who require assistance and supervision. To be eligible, individuals must be independently mobile, capable of responding to reminders and guidance from staff, and capable of self-administering medication. For more information, call 501-320-6196 or view Residential Care Facility Regulations below.

Click Title for Link Type
Residential Care Facility Regulations PDF

Adult Day Care and Adult Day Health Care Facilities

Adult Day Care Facilities provide custodial care, supervision, and social services. Adult Day Health Care Facilities provide organized programs of rehabilitative, therapeutic, and supportive health and social services and activities. These facilities serve functionally impaired adults for periods of less than 24 hours per day in a licensed structure. For more information, call 501-320-6196.

Click Title for Link Type
Adult Day Care Facilities PDF
Adult Day Health Care Facilities PDF

Assisted Living Facilities

Assisted Living Facilities provide services to residents 24 hours a day in performing all activities of daily living. They also provide limited nursing care. Links to Assisted Living Facilities regulations are below.

Click Title for Link Type
Assisted Living Facilities Level I PDF
Assisted Living Facilities Level II PDF

Alzheimer's Special Care Units

Alzheimer's Special Care Units (ASCU) are specialized units of long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes or assisted-living facilities, that offer services specifically for individuals with Alzheimer's Disease or related dementia.

Regulations for Alzheimer's Special Care Units are located in, and part of, the regulations for each type of facility that can house an Alzheimer's Special Care Unit.  Please download the regulations for a specific type of facility to see the Alzheimer's Special Care Unit regulations for that type of facility.

Post-Acute Head Injury Facilities

Post Acute Head Injury Facilities provide rehabilitative services to individuals who have disabilities or impairments brought on by head injuries.

Timber Ridge is the only Post-Acute Head Injury Facility in Arkansas. For more information, call 501-320-6196.

Click Title for Link Type
Post-Acute Head Injury Retraining Residential Facilities PDF

Arkansas Department
of Human Services
(501) 682-1001

TTY: 1-800-285-1131 or dial 711 for Arkansas Relay Service

Google Map | Contact Us