Updates for Clients

Updates for Clients

Medicaid Covers COVID-19 Vaccinations

English | Español | Kajin Majel 

Protect yourself and your loved ones: Get the COVID vaccine when it is offered to you!

  • Getting the vaccine will help keep you healthy, and it is the best option for returning to normal.
  • Arkansas Medicaid covers the cost of the vaccine for Medicaid clients. You will be asked for your Medicaid card, but you will not be required to pay anything for the vaccine.
  • Even if you don’t have insurance, you can still get the vaccine at no cost to you. Learn more about who is paying for vaccines.
  • All Arkansans aged 16 years and older are now eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
  • Find a pharmacy or a vaccine clinic near you to schedule your vaccine.
  • To learn more about the vaccines, check out these frequently asked questions from the Arkansas Department of Health.
  • The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) is now available to help people with disabilities find vaccination locations in their communities, assist callers with making vaccination appointments, and connect callers to local services – such as accessible transportation – to overcome barriers to vaccination.

During the COVID-19 public health emergency, DHS suspended the rule that requires applicants and recipients to cooperate with the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). You may have heard this called a “blanket good cause” for OCSE.

Please note that the requirement to cooperate with OCSE will return beginning July 1, 2020. Cooperation with OCSE only applies to applicants and recipients who have one or more parents not living in the household. Please contact your local county office if you have any questions about how this requirement affects your case.

If you have questions about services or health care coverage, please call 1-844-843-7351. You may also email us at beneficiary@dhs.arkansas.gov.

How can I apply for services?

Our county offices are open because we know that people need to apply or ask questions. We are working hard to keep our lobbies safe for people coming in and for our employees. However, we ask that if you are able, please apply or ask questions online or by phone instead of coming into your county office.

The fastest and safest way to apply for benefits is by going to Access.Arkansas.gov or by calling 1-855-372-1084.

If you want to email your application, first download a SNAP or Medicaid application below. Then you can either scan or take a picture of your completed application or any needed documents and email them to the office in your county.  

  • Click here to find the email address for your county.
  • In the subject line of your email, make sure to type “SENSITIVE.” This is to protect the confidential information in your application.
  • Please only send your application to one office in your county. If you email your application to more than one office, it will take longer to process your application.

These are the applications available for you to download:

SNAP & TEA Application

English | Spanish

Application for Arkansas Medicaid, ARKids First, or Arkansas Works
(For Single Adults with no dependents)

English | Spanish

Application for Arkansas Medicaid, ARKids First, or Arkansas Works
(For Families)

English | Spanish

Application for Medicare Savings for Qualified Beneficiaries
(Helps pay Medicare premiums and costs)

English | Spanish

Application for Long-term Services and Supports
(For Home- and Community-Based Services, Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Facilities)

 English | Spanish

For your safety and the safety of our employees, we urge you to call us with questions, apply online, or email us your completed applications. However, if you choose to go to your county office, please note that we are limiting the number of people in our lobbies to less than 10, which means you will experience longer than normal wait times and may have to stand outside until the lobby clears out. That is for your safety. Please do not come to a county office if you are sick.

If you need to fill out and deliver a paper application, first download the application from the links above and complete it, and then you may put it in the dropbox set up at your county office for your safety and convenience.

How do I get replacement SNAP benefits if I lost food because of a severe weather power outage?

SNAP clients who have suffered food loss due to a household misfortune, including a power outage due to severe weather, can have some of their benefits replaced.  Clients must take the following steps for this process:

  1. Notify DHS within 10 days of the power outage using the Declaration of Loss Form. This 10-day time period is from the day your power is restored.
  2. Fill out the Declaration of Food Loss Form and return it to DHS. You can download the form here.
  3. Give DHS verification of the power outage- DHS can help you with power outage verification by contacting local power companies.

You can type in the information to fill out the form and email it to your local county office. You can find your local county office email here. Please do not send an email to more than one county office.

You can also print off the form, fill it out, and drop it off at your local county office’s drop box so that you don’t have to wait in the lobby.

Short-term Child Care Assistance for Essential Workers

In 2020, the Arkansas Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education (DCCECE) shared that federal funds were available to help essential workers pay for child care during the public health emergency. The 2021 Federal COVID Relief Package provides additional funding for child care providers and essential worker child care assistance. Essential workers who are currently getting child care assistance through this program will continue to get assistance through 2021 or until relief funding is exhausted. New applications will be accepted on March 1, 2021. The new Essential Worker application must be used. Completed applications and required documentation must be emailed to EssentialWorker@dhs.arkansas.gov for processing.

Essential Worker Application – English | Spanish

If you still need help with childcare, you may be eligible for regular child care assistance. Please  apply for the regular child care assistance program by visiting our website at https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/divisions-shared-services/child-care-early-childhood-education/help-paying-for-child-care. That application and the sliding fee scale also are included here to help you. If you have more questions, please call the Child Care Assistance Unit at 501-682-8947.

Child Care Provider Frequently Asked Questions

What is DHS doing for the elderly and others getting services at home?

We have created a call center staffed with nurses and other specialists who are calling elderly clients in the ARChoices and PACE programs as well as those who get personal care at home twice a week to make sure they are getting the services they need and have meals. If clients have questions or concerns, they may also call 1-800-400-8016.

What is DHS doing to ensure services continue?

  • Emergency rule suspensions – As we work to ensure the essential services DHS provides, we may come across rules or regulations that we need to temporarily suspend to ensure we can meet the needs of our clients. You can find a list of suspended rules here.
  • SNAP Clients – we will expedite SNAP eligibility for individuals who have a loss of income due to the public health emergency. Also, the federal Families First Coronavirus Response Act now allows us to issue supplemental benefits to current SNAP households. Learn more here.
  • SNAP Clients with a Work Requirement – Effective March 18, 2020, all SNAP clients with a work requirement will get a “good cause” exemption for March and April, which means if they don’t report their work activity it will not count against them.
  • Childcare Voucher Families
    • Effective March 18, 2020, we are suspending the renewal process for 30 days so that no one loses childcare assistance during that time.
    • DCCECE will reimburse childcare voucher providers who remain open through the Child Care Development Block Grant. Below is a map with up to date information showing which child care providers are open.​​​​​​

You can also see open child care centers in Arkansas in this document, listed by county.

Miscellaneous Resources:

Learn About Programs

Apply For Services

Find Service Providers

Do Business With DHS

Become A Provider

Report A Concern

Copyright 2021 © All Rights Reserved. Arkansas.gov