Contact Us

Children and Family Services


Service: ARKids First Health Insurance | More Information
About: ARKids First health insurance provides two coverage options for more than 70,000 Arkansas children who otherwise might have gone without. ARKids A offers low-income families a comprehensive package of benefits. ARKids B provides coverage for families with higher incomes.
Contact: Call 888-474-8275 | Spanish 800-482-8988
Website: ARKids First Health Insurance
Service: Arkansas Energy Office | More Information
About: The Weatherization Assistance Program has transferred to the Energy Office
Contact: 800-558-2633 | Email
Website: Arkansas Energy Office
Service: Commodity Distribution Program
About: The Commodity Distribution Program processes and distributes commodities donated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to schools and other eligible recipient agencies in Arkansas that participate in the National School Lunch Program and Summer Food Service Program.
Contact: 501-371-1400
Website: Commodity Distribution Program
Service: Medicaid Program | Eligibility and Enrollment | More Information
About: Medicaid reimburses health care providers for covered medical services provided to eligible needy individuals in certain categories. Eligibility is determined based on income, resources, Arkansas residency, and other requirements. Covered services also vary among categories.
Contact: 1-800-482-8988
Service: Medicaid Program | Overview
About: Medicaid is a program that helps pay for medically necessary medical services for needy and low-income persons. It uses state and federal government money.
Contact: 800-482-5431
Website: Arkansas Medicaid
Service: Emergency Food Assistance Program | More Information
About: The Emergency Food Assistance Program distributes commodities to food banks, soup kitchens, shelters and other nonprofit agencies. Donated foods are also made available for Disaster Assistance. To view additional information on The Emergency Food Assistance Program including program information, eligibility, distribution sites, and links to USDA website, see link below.
Contact: 501-371-1400
Website: The Emergency Food Assistance Program
Service: Emergency Shelter Grants Program | More Information
About: The Emergency Shelter Grants Program assists local communities in helping to improve the quality of life for the homeless by providing resources for building repairs and support funds.
Contact: 501-682-8723
Service: Refugee Resettlement Program | More Information
About: The Refugee Resettlement Program assists newly arrived eligible refugees to assimilate into the American way of life. The program offers financial and medical services to eligible refugees for up to 8 months after arrival in the United States.
Contact: 1-800-482-8988
Service: Transitional Employment Assistance Program (TEA) | More Information
About: The TEA Program is a time-limited assistance program to help needy families with children become more responsible for their own support and less dependent on public assistance. DCO is responsible for TEA eligibility and partners with the Arkansas Deparment of Workforce Service for administration.
Contact: 800-482-8988
Service: Child Protective Services
About: The Child Protective Services Unit provides oversight and monitoring of DCFS child maltreatment investigations and staff statewide. Family Service Worker (FSW) Investigators respond to allegations of child abuse and neglect that have been accepted through the Arkansas Child Abuse Hotline. During the investigation, FSW Investigators conduct health and safety assessments of the children and must show a “preponderance of evidence” in order to substantiate (determined to be true) the allegation(s).
Contact: 501-396-6489
Service: Differential Response
About: The Differential Response (DR) Program responds to allegations of low-risk child maltreatment. Families that have allegations that are diverted from the traditional investigative pathway to the DR Program are provided with short-term services designed to keep children from entering foster care.
Contact: 501-396-6489


Service: Foster and Adoptive Parent Inquiry and Application
About: The Foster and Adoptive Parent Inquiry Unit provides assistance to individuals and couples seeking to become a foster or adoptive provider homes by conveying information about serving as a foster or adoptive home, providing technical assistance with filling out background checks, and assignment of the applicant to the local Resource Unit when appropriate for completion of the assessment and approval process once background checks are completed.
Contact: 501-682-8008
Website: Adoptive or Foster Parent Inquiry
Service: Mutual Consent Voluntary Adoption Registry
About: Each licensed adoption agency in Arkansas is allowed by law to establish an adoption registry. Qualified persons may register to be identified to each other or to receive non-identifying information about the genetic, health and social history of adoptees placed by their agency.
Contact: 501-682-8762 | Email
Website: Mutual Consent Voluntary Adoption Registry
Service: Eligibility
About: The DCFS Eligibility Unit is responsible for determining title IV-E and Medicaid eligibility of children who enter foster care. Title IV-E eligibility is a federally means tested program. The state is reimbursed for administrative and maintenance costs provided that a child is IV-E eligible and a child’s placement meets required Arkansas licensing standards. Medicaid eligibility is determined for children in foster care, children adopted and receiving an adoption subsidy, children entering Arkansas through the Interstate Compact for Placement of Children (ICPC), children entering Arkansas through the Interstate Compact for Adoption Medicaid Assistance (ICAMA), and children participating in the Subsidized Guardianship Program. The Eligibility Unit also manages Foster Care Trust Accounts. Foster care trust accounts are established for children in the foster care program when the state is the payee for children’s child support, Social Security, and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. The income is credited to a bank account for the child and the income is used to help support the child by board and contract reimbursement or other needs for the beneficiary.
Contact: 501-682-8889

Arkansas Department
of Human Services
(501) 682-1001

TTY: 1-800-285-1131 or dial 711 for Arkansas Relay Service

Google Map | Contact Us