Contact Us

Featured Stories

« Go Back

The Department of Human Services (DHS) is Arkansas’ largest state agency, with more than 7,400 employees working to ensure citizens are healthy, safe and enjoying a high quality of life.

The agency’s skilled and passionate staff cares for Arkansans of all ages. Often, that means providing a safety net for our most vulnerable residents. Families or individuals facing difficult times may need assistance to get back on their feet. People needing support will find at least one local DHS office in each of the state’s 75 counties.

Arkansans may apply for a vast array of services at their local county office as well as online. Services include ARKids First health insurance for children, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps), Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) and Medicaid.

Through a blend of federal and state Medicaid funds, DHS pays for 64 percent of the babies born in Arkansas each year and for the care of 69 percent of the state’s nursing home patients.

Additionally, DHS protects children and the elderly who have been abused or neglected; finds adoptive homes for foster children; funds congregate and home-delivered meals for the elderly; regulates nursing homes and childcare facilities; supports high-quality early childhood education; treats and serves youth in the juvenile justice system; runs residential facilities for people with developmental disabilities; manages the Arkansas State Hospital and Arkansas Health Center for those with acute behavioral health issues; and supports nonprofit, community and faith-based organizations that depend on volunteers to continue programs vital to our communities.

The agency also works with a system of community mental health care centers to provide mental health services to nearly 74,000 people each year.

In all, DHS serves more than 1.2 million Arkansans every year.

To manage these services and programs efficiently, DHS has nine divisions and seven support offices headquartered in Little Rock in addition to the 84 county offices.

Please contact local offices and individual divisions – or visit their Web pages listed on the left side of the page – if you need additional information. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please call 501-682-1001 for assistance.

Thank you for visiting DHS online. We look forward to serving you.


Arkansas citizens are healthy, safe, and enjoy a high quality of life.

Mission Statement

Together we improve the quality of life of all Arkansans by protecting the vulnerable, fostering independence, and promoting better health.

Core Values

Operational Values

Customer Focused - Ensuring our actions and services are targeted to the well-being of recipients/customers and the citizens of Arkansas.

High Quality Workforce - Recruiting and developing our people so that they enjoy the highest quality work life and choose DHS as the best place to work.



We care. We act. We change lives.


Medicaid Monthly Reports

Title Type Posted Date
December 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 01/22/2020
November 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 12/17/2019
October 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 11/21/2019
September 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 10/15/2019
July/Aug. 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/17/2019
June 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 07/23/2019
May 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 06/27/2019
April 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 05/16/2019
March 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 04/15/2019
February 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 03/19/2019
January 2019 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 02/15/2019
Calendar Year 2018 Enrollment and Expenditure Report PDF 01/15/2018
December 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 12/17/2018
November 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 11/15/2018
October 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 10/15/2018
September 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/21/2018
August 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/21/2018
July 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/21/2018
June 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/21/2018
May 2018 Monthly Enrollment and Expenditures Report PDF 09/21/2018

Back to Top


ARWorks Reports

Title Type Posted Date
February 2019 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 09/19/2019
January 2019 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 02/15/2019
December 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 01/15/2018
November 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 12/17/2018
October 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 11/15/2018
September 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 09/21/2018
August 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report                                      PDF 09/21/2018
July 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 09/21/2018
June 2018 ARWorks Monthly Report PDF 09/21/2018

Back to Top


DCFS Reports

Title Type Posted Date
Family First Fits Us 2019 PDF 10/16/2019
Foundation for the Future 2018 PDF 10/24/2018
DCFS Renewed Hope 2017 PDF 07/16/2019
Moving Beyond Crisis DCFS Report 2016 PDF 07/16/2019

Back to Top



Title Type Date
Hot Car Dangers PDF 05/22/2019

Back to Top


Early Childhood Reports

Title Type Date
Directors Workforce Study Report PDF 08/21/2019
Staff Workforce Study Report PDF 08/21/2019

Back to Top

Doing Business with DHS

Employment with DHS

Appeal Hearing

Information from DHS

Note: The Proposed Rule dates are for the Public Comment period for each rule. The Recent Final Rule date is when the rule becomes effective.


Records & Databases

Title Type
Licensed Child Care Centers  LINK
Listing and General Description of Computer Databases PDF

Informational & Statistical Reports

Title Type
Arkansas Annual Synar Reports LINK
Annual Statistical Reports LINK

Arkansas Prevention Needs Assessment Student Survey Reports

Title Type
County Office Operational Report (COOR) LINK
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2017 PDF
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2016 PDF
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2015 PDF
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2014 PDF
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2013 PDF
Arkansas Medicaid Program Overview 2012 PDF
Olmstead Report    WEB

Program Policies

Title Type
Dept of Human Services Policies PDF

Nursing Home Surveys

Title Type
Compare Nursing Homes WEB
Medicare Data Sets WEB
Medicare Data Sets How-to Video WEB
Nursing Home Quality, Certification, and Oversight Reports WEB
Nursing Home Quality, Certification, and Oversight Reports - FAQ WEB

Public Assistance

How do I apply for public assistance programs such as Medicaid, ARKids, nutrition assistance, cash assistance or child care assistance?

You will find the applications you need online at Access Arkansas. The site also will provide you with information so you can determine whether you’re qualified for assistance before submitting an application. You also may apply at your local county office.

What does Medicaid provide?

The Medicaid Program helps you, if you are eligible, to pay some of your medical bills. Eligibility depends on your income, resources, age, and situation. Most people who are eligible fall into one of the following categories: age 65 or older, under age 19, blind, disabled, pregnant, nursing home resident, have breast or cervical cancer, disabled but work some, in need of home and community-based services or are under 21 and in foster care.

What is ARKids First?

ARKids First health insurance provides coverage options for more than 300,000 Arkansas children who otherwise might have gone without health care. Eligibility for ARKids is based on your family’s income and other factors. Resources are totally disregarded. ARKids A offers low-income families a comprehensive package of benefits. ARKids B provides coverage for families with higher incomes. Children must be under age 19, living in your home and a U.S. citizen or qualified legal alien. If you have questions about your child’s eligibility, call our ARKids First free hotline at 1-888-474-8275, visit your local county office or log on to Access Arkansas.

How can I get help purchasing food?

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamp Program) provides food assistance to eligible households to cover a portion of a household's food budget.  Benefits are distributed through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card and must be used to buy food products or seeds to grow vegetables. In addition to food assistance, the program provides SNAP recipients with nutrition education regarding food safety, healthy foods, portion sizes, and food preparation.

I just lost my job. How can I provide for my children?

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is a federally funded program that provides case management services to assist families with children under age 18 with finding employment. Arkansas's TANF program is called Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA). While looking for a job, the family will receive a cash assistance payment based on household size. The family's income must be equal to or less than $223 per month. SSI income is not counted in this total. The family's resources must be $3000 or less.  Supportive services also will be provided to the recipient if needed while looking for employment. TANF also provides cash assistance to children being cared for by caretaker relatives other than the parent.

I cannot pay for my utilities. Where can I get help?

The Low-income Home Energy Assistance Program helps low-income households with home energy costs by providing financial assistance through the Winter Assistance Program and Crisis Intervention Program.  Each program provides assistance to a household’s energy supplier or, under certain circumstances to the applicant. The Crisis Intervention Program provides assistance to eligible households facing energy-related emergencies. The Winter Assistance program runs from early January until the end of March or the depletion of funds. The Crisis Programs runs from the beginning of April until the end of September or until the depletion of funds. Both programs are operated by the 16 Community Action Agencies and cover all 75 counties of the State of Arkansas.  


What types of Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance are there?

Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance may be available to families through the Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) or Extended Support Services (ESS) Programs. TEA and ESS services are provided by the Division of Workforce Services. To see if you qualify for TEA/ ESS assistance, please call Workforce Services at: 1-855-225-4440.

The Low-Income Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance program serves families who are working and/or going to school full-time.  Families   can   receive a child care authorization for a minimum of one year based on Better Beginning Level of CCDF Participant. Job search shall be provided up to three months following the loss of an eligible activity. The Low Income program is only available through the Family Support Unit. For more information you may contact the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education at 1-800-322-8176 or https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/about-dhs/dccece/programs-services/child-care-assistance

How long will I be on the waiting list of Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance?

Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance is available pending the availability of funds and eligibility. At this time there is no waitlist for Early Childhood and Out-of-School Time Assistance.

Once I’m approved for childcare assistance how often will my case be re-determined?

Low-Income redeterminations shall be completed based on the provider’s Better Beginnings Level.  Better Beginnings Level one (1) and two (2) are re-determined once a year.  Better Beginnings Level three (3) are re-determined every two years.

How do I appeal a denial decision?

Whenever an application is denied, or an adverse action is taken on a case, the client will be informed in writing of the decision and of the right for a review of the decision.  The notice to the applicant/client must state that he/she has ten (10) days from the date of the Notice of Action in which to submit a request to Internal Review of the decision.

Where can I find the minimum licensing requirements for day care homes, centers, and voluntarily registered homes?

For information, visit the Child Care Licensing page. 

Services for the Disabled

How do I apply for services offered by the Division of Developmental Disabilities Services?

For children ages 0-21, contact DDS Children’s Services Intake and Referral Unit at 501-682-1464. For adults, contact the DDS Adult Services Intake and Referral Unit at 501-683-5687.

Does a physician have to make the referral for my infant or toddler (birth to 36 months) to receive First Connections Early Intervention Services?

No. Anyone can refer an infant or toddler for Early Intervention services (examples: a parent, a concerned friend, neighbor, physician or teacher). Please contact the Early Intervention program at our help and information line. 800-643-8258.

Youth Committed to the Division of Youth Services

How long does a youth stay in Division of Youth Services residential programs?

Youth Services uses a matrix to set the length of stay based on the law violated. However, we do monitor the progress of each youth in their rehabilitative work and adjust the length of stay accordingly. The average length of stay is approximately six months.

Do youth in residential programs receive educational services?

Yes. Youth Services system of education is recognized by law and the Arkansas Department of Education. The youth are required to attend school while in residential programs and receive credit toward graduation for their work. 


What type of programs or services are available in Arkansas for seniors?

DHS Division of Aging and Adult Services, 501-682-2441 or 866-801-3435 or you may visit our website https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/about-dhs/daabhs/ programs-services and search for public benefits and programs for Arkansas seniors.

Where can I get a list of senior centers in a particular county?

Call the Division of Aging and Adult services at 501-682-2441 or 866-801-3435 . We will put you in touch with the Area Agency on Aging for your Region. You also may visit our website at https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/about-dhs/daabhs/aging-and-adult-services for more information.

Are all services offered in every county in Arkansas?

Unfortunately, not all services are offered in every county. Call the Division of Aging and Adult Services at 501-682-2441 or 866-801-3435. We will give you the number for your local Area Agency on Aging. You also may visit our website at https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/about-dhs/daabhs/aging-and-adult-services for a comprehensive list of services by county.

Who should I contact for help with Medicare or Medicaid?

You may call your local Area Agency on Aging or the DAAS Choices In Living Resource Center at  866-801-3435. You also may visit our website at https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/about-dhs/daabhs/aging-and-adult-services for a comprehensive list of DHS county offices.

Are there programs for families who need help with a parent but do not want to place the parent in a nursing home?

Yes. Long-Term Care Medicaid Waivers and private pay services are available depending on circumstances.


Where do I call if I have a problem with Medicaid transportation?

You may call the Transportation Help Line at 1-888-987-1200 and follow the directions.

What is a ConnectCare Primary Care Physician or PCP?

A ConnectCare Primary Care Physician or "PCP," is your family "doctor" who will take care of all your healthcare needs. Your ConnectCare doctor has your medical records and will give you medical advice based on your medical needs. Your doctor can handle your basic medical needs, refer you for special care, and admit you into the hospital. You may contact your doctor 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays. When attempting to contact your doctor, you may talk to your doctor directly, another doctor, or staff person based on the availability of your doctor.

How do I get a ConnectCare doctor?

  1. Your Medicaid caseworker should ask you to complete a ConnectCare Primary Care Physician enrollment form when applying for a Medicaid card.
  2. If you are an SSI (Supplemental Security Income) recipient, you may go to a DHS office to select a ConnectCare doctor once you have become Medicaid eligible or call ConnectCare at 1-800-275-1131 (1-800-285-1131 TDD), or if you are in the Central Arkansas area, call (501) 614-4689.
  3. You may select your doctor at his or her office. Your choice is valid from the date the office calls it into Medicaid.
  4. You may call the ConnectCare Help Line at 1-800-275-1131 (1-800-285-1131 TDD), or if you are in the Central Arkansas area, call 614-4689, 6:00 am to 10:00 pm Monday – Friday.
  5. You also may request a doctor using the online assign/change form on our website at www.seeyourdoc.org. Please note that using this method DOES NOT guarantee your request. If you need a doctor immediately, please call the Help Line. 

Mental Health/Substance Abuse

I need mental health and/or substance abuse treatment, but I have no insurance or way to pay for it. How can I get help?

Community Mental Health Centers (CMHC) provide services for priority populations and persons with limited financial resources. Priority populations are served first and include Act 911 of 1989 forensic patients, including those jailed and recently released, and patients certified as seriously emotionally disturbed or seriously mentally ill. Other patients are served as resources allow. These facilities provide a full array of services, including individual and group therapy, medication management and case management. For the location of the mental health center in your area please go here. It is possible that your CMHC may allow a reduced payment option for services.

For alcohol and/or substance abuse treatment, please contact the Division of Aging, Adult and Behavioral Health Services (DAABHS) at 501-686-9164, for more information about receiving treatment with limited financial resources.

My adult son/daughter needs mental health and/or substance abuse treatment but refuses to go. What should I do?

If your son or daughter is a clear and present danger to self or others because of a mental illness or alcohol and/or drug abuse, they can be “committed”. This involves a judge issuing an order that this person get an evaluation and/or treatment regardless of the person’s agreement. The treatment can be inpatient (in a hospital) or outpatient (at a clinic). Arkansas law is very specific about the commitment process, and the dangerous behavior must be serious and also a recent or an immediate threat. More information about the commitment process can be found here. You also can contact the Division of Aging, Adult and Behavioral Health Services (DAABHS) at 501-686-9164 to learn more about your options.

You also might check into Psychiatric Advanced Directives. This is a legal instrument used to document a competent person’s specific instructions or preferences regarding future mental health treatment, in preparation for the possibility that the person may lose capacity to give or withhold informed consent to treatment during acute episodes of psychiatric illness. More information about Psychiatric Advanced Directives can be found here.

How can I help a family member or friend that is threatening to harm themselves?

The first step is to make sure they are safe. Call the police if you feel they are an immediate threat to do harm. If the threat is not immediate, there are other resources available to help you. The Arkansas Crisis Center 1-888-274-7472 or http://www.arcrisis.org has a 24-hour hotline with dedicated volunteers and staff members. You also can contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or TTY 1-800-799-4TTY (4889). You also can contact the local community mental health center or one of the behavioral health agencies in your area. Each of the providers are required to have emergency/crisis services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Other suicide prevention resources are available at the Arkansas Suicide Prevention website and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

Access Arkansas Call Center 1-855-372-1084 
Adoptions 1-888-736-2820
Adult Protective Services 1-800-482-8049
Arkansas Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222
ARKids First 1-888-474-8275
Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-482-5964
Child Abuse Hotline TDD 1-800-843-6349
Child Care Assistance 1-800-322-8176
Child Support Information 1-877-731-3071
EBT Help Desk  (24/7) 1-800-997-9999
General Customer Assistance 1-800-482-8988
General Customer Assistance TDD 1-501-682-8933
Fraud and Abuse Hotline - SNAP, TEA & Medicaid only 1-800-422-6641
Medicaid Claims Questions 1-800-482-5431
Non-emergency Medicaid Transportation Questions 1-888-987-1200
Security/Privacy Hotline 1-501-320-3911​
Senior Medicare Fraud Patrol 1-866-726-2916
Suicide Prevention Hotline ​1-888-274-7472

​To view additional information and map, click the name of the office. If you know the name of the office, enter it into the search box to narrow your results.

DHS offers a variety of programs and services for all Arkansas citizens. From simple A to Z list of all services to more focused lists based on groups such as young adult or seniors, our goal is to help you find the information you need quickly.

Quick Access

Programs and Services | A to Z
If you know the name of the program or service, this is the fastest way to find details and contact information.

Programs and Services | Search by Keyword
Need a little help finding the program or service? Enter a few words and we'll narrow it down.

Programs and Services | For Providers
A fast list to help our providers access the information they need.

Programs and Services by Group
A more focused approach for specific visitors.

Do Not Edit Here. Content is pulling from a template.

To filter results, enter desired search term in the search field. To change the number of visible events, use the drop menu. Click the name of the event to link to more information.


To filter results, enter desired search term in the search field. To change the number of visible events, use the drop menu. Click the name of the event to link to more information.


Contact Information for DHS Divisions and Offices

By Phone: 501-682-1001
By TDD: 501-682-8820
Address: Donaghey Plaza, P.O. Box 1437, Little Rock, AR 72203 | PDF Map | Google Map
Email: Send Your Comments to the DHS Director of Communications

Contact Information for County Offices

Email: Contact Your County Office
Map: DHS County Office Map for additional contact information, map and directions.

Contact Information for DHS Facilities

DHS Offices and Contacts


Related Documents

File Name File Type Date
DHS Publication 407, Notice of Privacy Practices PDF 01/01/2017
DHS Publication 407, Notice of Privacy Practices, Spanish PDF 01/01/2017
DHS Publication 408, Notice of Privacy Practices PDF 01/01/2017
DHS Publication 408, Notice of Privacy Practices, Spanish PDF 01/01/2017


Talking with a person who is blind

When conversing with a person who is blind use normal terms as well as normal tones. Go ahead and use words like "see" and "look". Speak directly to the person, not through a third party. Interpretation is not necessary. When asking a question, call the person by name so he will know he is being addressed.


Leaving a person who is blind

When you're leaving a person who is blind, announce your departure. Don't leave him stranded or talking to himself. Above all, remember common sense and sensitivity to others are most important.

What is Blindness?

Blindness does not always mean total loss of sight. A person whose visual acuity does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye, with best correction, or whose field of vision is restricted to 20 degrees or less is considered "blind." Some people with rapidly progressive visual problems which will result in blindness may benefit from services of the Division of Services for the Blind.


Serving as a sighted guide

When walking with a person who is blind move at a normal pace about one half step ahead. He will normally hold onto the sighted person's arm just above the elbow. The person who is blind can then feel and easily follow the guide's movements up, down, straight, left, right, etc. A slight hesitation before stepping up or down is helpful.


Serving food to a person who is blind

When serving a person who is blind and eating without a sighted companion, offer to read the menu - including the price of each item.
As you place each item on the table, call his attention to it, as: "Here's your water." If he wants you to cut up his food or serve it from a casserole or platter, he will request that help. It's never bad form to offer, however.

Making change for a person who is blind

If making change in bills of more than one denomination, hand him the bills separately and identify each denomination as you hand it to him. This is not necessary with coins; he knows them by touch.

Assisting a person who is blind across the street

Let the blind person know you are there by asking, "May I be of assistance?" Speak in a normal tone. If he accepts your offer, let him take your arm. Never "grab" the blind person's arm, he can't anticipate your movements if you do. After crossing a street see that he is going in the direction he wants to take and caution him about any obstruction ahead.

Giving directions to a person who is blind

Always give directions verbally - pointing or gesturing will not help. Using terms such as "left," "right ",”straight ahead" or compass points will assist the person in reaching his destination. Street names, if known, can be helpful to some people who are blind.

Assisting a person who is blind with seating

In showing a person who is blind to a chair, place his hand upon the back or arm of it; don't try to push him into it. His touch will tell him the type, width and height of the chair.
If you need this material in an alternative format such as large print, tape, Braille or computer disk, please contact our Americans with Disabilities Act coordinator at 501-682-5463 or 1-800-960-9270.

Lost Sight Does Not Mean Lost Opportunity in Arkansas

The Arkansas Department of Human Services is in compliance with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act and is operated, managed and delivers services without regard to age, religion, disability, political affiliation, veteran status, sex, race, color or national origin.

Contact information

Any person who is severely visually impaired and is interested in receiving additional information or services can contact:

Division of Services for the Blind
700 Main Street
Little Rock, AR 72203
Telephone: 501 682-5463
TDD: 501-682-0093
FAX: 501-682-0366
Toll Free: 1-800-960-9270 

Under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, all public records shall be open to inspection and copying by any citizen of the State of Arkansas during the regular business hours of the custodian of the records.  DHS must make public records available upon request unless the records are in active use or storage, in which case, DHS must do so within 3 working days.  Disclosures are subject to various exemptions under federal and state law. You can request records by using the form below. If you have questions, please email them to DHS.FOIA@dhs.arkansas.gov. Commonly requested materials can be found here: https://humanservices.arkansas.gov/resources/foi
Child maltreatment investigation and child protective services information and records are confidential by law and cannot be released under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act. However, some records can be released to certain people and entities, such as other state child protective services agencies, attorney ad litems, and individuals who are the subject of the records.
These individuals should work with the DHS Division of Children and Family Services Central Registry Unit to request child maltreatment central registry statuses and maltreatment/protective services case information and records. You can find contact information and answers to other questions and forms here.
Fill out my online form.

At the Arkansas Department of Human Services, we take the integrity of our programs, employees, and partners seriously. If there are problems, we want to know about them so that weintegrity can  investigate and address them.

There are a number of ways for you to report issues. If you suspect fraud on the part of providers or  beneficiaries you can call or email the fraud hotline below. Below you also will find phone numbers you can use to report child or adult maltreatment. If you suspect misconduct or have concerns – but aren’t sure who to direct them to – please use the DHS Integrity form below. You can make a report through the form and hotlines anonymously.

Fraud Hotline for suspected fraud:
Please call 1-(800)-422-6641 or email ContactDHSFraud@arkansas.gov.

Child Abuse and Maltreatment Hotline for suspected neglect, abuse, or maltreatment of children:
Please call 1-800-482-5964.
TDD: 1-800-843-6349.

Adult Protective Services Hotline for suspected neglect, abuse, or maltreatment of adults:
Please call 1-800-482-8049.

DHS Integrity Reporting Form

Fill out my online form.


In Arkansas there is always a Safe Haven for your baby. Call 1-888-510-2229

What is Safe Haven?

The Arkansas Safe Haven law allows a parent to bring a child, 30 days old or younger to an employee at any hospital emergency room or law enforcement agency anonymously and without facing prosecution for endangering or abandoning a child.

Once a baby is given up, the Arkansas Department of Human Services will be called so that it can find the baby a permanent loving home. 

Where do I leave my newborn?

You can take the baby to any hospital emergency room in Arkansas, any police or sheriff department or an Arkansas State Police office. The baby must be left with an employee - not at the door.

How does it work?

A parent who does not want an infant or who is unable to care for an infant can give up custody of a baby 30 days or younger legally and anonymously to an employee at any hospital emergency room or law enforcement agency. When a baby is dropped off, no information is required. Here you can find out what your hospital or agency needs to know.

What else can you tell me?

We know you have lots of questions about what it means to give your baby up under the Safe Haven law. Here we connect you to more information.

You also can call 1-888-510-BABY. 


Back to Top

Is there a fee?

A non-refundable processing fee of $10.00, by check, money order, or cashier’s check (no cash or temporary checks), proof of non-profit status, or proof of indigent status must be submitted with each request.

A processing fee is not charged to other state’s child services agencies, non-profit organizations, Attorney’s Ad Litem, law enforcement, Prosecuting Attorneys, or to individuals who are indigent.

Please contact the DCFS Registry Unit with any questions.

Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry Status check (background check) requests:

All Registry check requests must be submitted on a form signed by the individual whose status is being requested and submitted with the processing fee, if required, or with proof of non-profit or indigent status. The form is required to be notarized.

Who can request an Arkansas Child Maltreatment Central Registry status (background) check?

Certain individuals identified under Arkansas Statute may request and receive information on an individual’s Registry status (notarized authorization form required).

Who can request information/records on child maltreatment investigations and/or protective services cases?

Some other entities (Please contact the DCFS Registry Unit with any questions).    

Central Registry Documents

Background and Reports Fact Sheet

Central Registry Request Form

The DCFS Central Registry Unit can be contacted at:

DCFS Central Registry
P O Box 1437,Slot S-566
Little Rock  AR  72203
Phone: 501-682-0405
Fax: 501-682-0407
Email: ARAbuseNeglectRecords@dhs.arkansas.gov

Date Title
10/02/2019 DHS Part of Group to Help Promote Health in South Arkansas
10/01/2019 Peer Recovery Professionals Make a Difference
10/01/2019 Cleveland County Staff Supports Kingsland Students
09/05/2019 ASH Volunteer Group Advocates for Mental Health Awareness
09/02/2019 Harper Amazed by the Farmers Markets
08/02/2019 Get Moving Get Fit: Dickinson Embraces a Habit She Developed as a Teen
08/12/2019 DHS Staff Comes Together to Help Single Parents
08/09/2019 DCO Gives SNAP Clients Nutrition Tips
07/15/2019  Arkansas Foster Parents of the Year Recognized
07/03/2019 Ashley County Staff Comes Together to Complete “Project Purpose”
07/01/2019 Resource Center Places Focus on Senior Citizens
06/06/2019 Washington Benefits From CDSM Training
06/05/2019 DDS Staff Make Creative First Connections During Community Festival
06/03/2019 Get Moving Get Fit: Ingram Enjoys the Benefits of Working Out
05/01/2019 Story Time Teaches Kids About Being Friendly
04/30/2019 Join DCFS in Preventing Child Abuse in Arkansas
03/18/2019 Jonesboro Center Presents Annual Fashion Show
03/21/2019 Scales Has a Bond With The Blue Umbrella
01/25/2019 Moore Gives Parents the Same Help That She Once Needed
01/21/2019 Rogers Enjoys her Duties for DPSQA
02/24/2019 Avey Knows the Impact of Annual Fitness Competition
02/26/2019 Williams Enjoys New Role for Services of the Blind
02/27/2019 Secret Pal Boosts Morale of DHS Staff
10/25/2018 Young Earns Special Award
10/31/2018 Fresh Food Vendor Values SNAP “Double Up Food Bucks”
10/27/2018 Beard, Winkel Experience the Dedication of the HR Recruiting Team
10/28/2018 Access Arkansas Processing Center Staff Go Beyond the Call of Duty
10/15/2018 Johnson Enjoys the Annual Western Hat Week Festivities
08/24/2018 Arkansas’s Opioid Epidemic Affects Kids as Well
08/22/2018 Making Information easy to understand is Important, Especially for Our Senior Citizens
08/23/2018 Harlan Excited About Her New Role for the Division of Medical Services
07/26/2018 DHS Weight Loss Series: Shamia Rafter
07/23/2018 Senior Medicare Patrol Helps Seniors Avoid Scams, Through Fraud Bingo
07/24/2018 DCFS Celebrates State’s Top Foster Parents
07/25/2018 Arkansas State Hospital Paves Way for Interns to Move Closer to Goals
06/30/2018 Looking Back: Randolph County Staff Forged Ahead Despite Flood
06/29/2018 Wendy Miller Has More Energy Due to Weight Loss
06/29/2018 Community Service Opportunities are Easy to Find Thanks to VolunteerAR.org
07/16/2018 Jump Start Introduces Whitehead to a New Level of Responsibility
06/28/2018 Payne Intends to Cherish Every Moment of the Special Olympics
06/28/2018 For Smith, Coaching at the USA Games is a Dream Come True
06/28/2018 Garrett Eager to See Athletes Have Fun at USA Games
06/27/2018 Winnen Ready to Make History for Arkansas
06/26/2018 Family Makes the Special Olympics Even More Significant for Boyce
06/25/2018 Diaz Ready to Experience Special Olympics USA Games
05/28/2018 May is Mental Health Awareness Month
06/20/2018 DHS Weight Loss Series: Santasha Roy
04/28/2018 Independence County Staff Highlight DHS Jobs and Services at Batesville Business Expo
04/29/2018 Conway Human Development Center Hosts 14th Annual Health Fair
04/27/2018 Crowd Rallies at State Capitol to Promote Child Abuse Prevention
05/14/2018 DHS Weight Loss Series: Dale Woodall
04/23/2018 DYS Tournament provides several great moments
04/04/2018 Paula Mainard turned a scary situation into motivation
04/03/2018 Arkansas Health Center embraces kindness campaign
04/02/2018 Volunteer group keeps DHS connected with the community
03/01/2018 DHS Foster Grandparent program makes a difference in the lives of its volunteers
03/01/2018 Johannes uses weight loss to defeat self-esteem issues
03/01/2018 Residents and staff of Conway Human Development Center enjoy the Valentine’s Day Prom
03/01/2018 Warm Shoulders program helps Arkansas State Hospital patients, and the homeless population
11/21/2017 Garden program at Mansfield Juvenile Treatment Center is celebrated
11/21/2017 Fall Drug Take Back was a major success
11/16/2017 Family Volunteer Day emphasizes communities building a rapport with law enforcement
10/26/2017 DHS excited to partake in Fall 2017 Arkansas Drug Take Back
10/24/2017 Public, private collaboration leads to creation of work program at AJATC
10/20/2017 DDS presents second annual fall festival
10/20/2017 DCCECE enjoys partnership with UCA Dietetic Intern program
09/25/2017 DBHS reminds youth to avoid use of alcohol and drugs
09/25/2017 Health and Nutrition Unit hosts special conference for its community partners
09/14/2017 DHS Continues Re-organization to Strengthen Agency’s Internal Integrity, Controls
09/01/2017 Nolte overcomes the odds to excel academically, socially
08/28/2017 High 5 Dads provides hope, enthusiasm for the youth
08/23/2017 Inaugural Family Day gives residents, families an opportunity to re-connect
08/22/2017 Teens enjoy YAB Leadership Conference
07/19/2017 HDC gardens can be a valuable link between centers and surrounding communities
07/06/2017 Foster Grandparents are celebrated during annual conference
07/03/2017 NCCC team makes an impact in Arkansas
06/23/2017 Forever different, forever redeemed: Misty and Justin’s Story
06/22/2017 DHS joins the #300-for-300 challenge
06/16/2017 DCFS GEM Awards Presented
06/15/2017 DHS joins battle against youth hunger in Arkansas
06/15/2017 The 40th annual CSA celebrates benevolence in Arkansas
06/15/2017 Randolph County staff showcases mettle during a tough situation
06/09/2017 Reunification and Redemption: Rosie
06/05/2017 Phillips’ leadership has helped to shape Lake View
06/05/2017 Roberson proves you’re never too young to make a difference
06/05/2017 Cooper promotes the importance of gardening
06/05/2017 Two social workers strive to assist foster teens
06/05/2017 Sisters convert heartbreak into a unique civic organization
06/05/2017 Everett family is committed to serving Saline County
06/05/2017 Welch uses the arts to help individuals with developmental disabilities
06/05/2017 Ellis is a respected presence in Benton
06/05/2017 Johnson leads quest to fund cancer research
05/19/2017 90 Arkansas foster children are recognized for reaching academic milestone
05/15/2017 Division of Youth Services enjoys quality union with Rite of Passage
05/04/2017 DYS Hosts “Youth On the Rise” Job Fair at Alexander Facility
05/04/2017 DHS, Community Partners Rally for Child Abuse Prevention
05/04/2017 Governor Wraps Up National Volunteer Week with First Family Challenge
04/04/2017 DHS celebrates national service
03/29/2017 Governor signs resolution which prompts singing and dancing
03/17/2017 Governor, Principal Recognize Youth Writers with Special Luncheon
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Arkansas Department of Human Services

Arkansas Department
of Human Services
(501) 682-1001

TTY: 1-800-285-1131 or dial 711 for Arkansas Relay Service

Google Map | Contact Us