"Kindergarten readiness" is a term we have heard for many years. It is a term that has meant different things to different people. Now that has changed.
Legislative Act 825 enacted by the Arkansas General Assembly in 2003 has caused the term "kindergarten readiness" to be more clearly defined. Here is a summary of the main points contained in Act 825:
- The Department of Education shall determine and prepare a list of skills and knowledge that a child should have in order to be prepared for kindergarten.
- The list shall be prepared in a manner that will assist parents in preparing their children for kindergarten.
- The Department of Human Services shall provide copies of the list to child care facilities licensed by the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education.
- Licensed child care facilities shall distribute the list to the parents of each three-year old, four-year old, and five-year old attending the child care facility.
Kindergarten Readiness Indicator Checklist and Resources
- Kindergarten Readiness Checklist - Parents
- Kindergarten Readiness Checklist - Teachers
- Kindergarten Readiness Checklist - Parents| Spanish
- Kindergarten Readiness Checklist - Teachers | Spanish
- Kindergarten Readiness Guide
- Kindergarten Readiness Calendar | English
- Kindergarten Readiness Calendar | Spanish