Substance Abuse Prevention
- Educate citizens,
- Empower communities.
- Encourage collaboration, and
- Enhance prevention efforts through community mobilization to foster a healthy and positive environment.
Prevention is defined as interventions that occur prior to the onset of a disorder that are intended to prevent or reduce risk for the disorder. Prevention is part of a broader health promotion effort, based on the knowledge that addiction is a primary, progressive, chronic, and fatal disease. As such, it focuses on creating population level changes, within the cultural context, in order to reduce risks and strengthen ability to cope with adversity.
Building coordinated prevention efforts through collaboration with state agencies, community organizations, and special populations offers multiple strategies, provides multiple points of access, and allows for coordination to expand citizen participation in community activity as a most promising approach to preventing alcohol and other drug problems and youth related violence. A comprehensive approach to a particular problem or behavior is an effective way to achieve the desired permanent behavior or normative change.
In order to sustain that coordinated effort, the prevention section of the Division of Aging, Adult, & Behavioral Health Services funds:
- Thirteen Regional Prevention Providers. For more information see, PREVENTION SERVICES DIRECTORY
- UALR MidSouth Center for Prevention and Training. For more information, see www.midsouth.ualr.edu
- Arkansas Prevention Certification Board. For more information, see www.arkprevention.com
- Arkansas Prevention Needs Assessment. For more information, see www.arkansas.pridesurveys.com
- Archival Risk Factors and State Epidemiological Workgroup. For more information, see www.preventionworksar.com
- Arkansas Take Back. For more information see https://www.artakeback.org/
|Tenesha Barnes||Early Intervention and Prevention Director||501-686-9982|
|Joycelyn Pettus||Substance Abuse Prevention Coordinator||501-686-9921|
|Helenia Loftin||PDO Project Director||501-683-5908|
|Virginia Stanick||PFS Research Statistical Manager||501-686-9873|
|Kymala Calloway||Grant Analyst||501-686-9030|
|Kareba Tate||PFS Project Director||501-320-8928|
|Amanda Hubbard||SOR Coordinator||501-251-6450|
|SFY20 Arkansas Prevention Services Providers List||12/12/2019|
|Prescription Drug Overdose Death Strategic Plan||08/14/2018|
|2020 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||12/13/2019|
|2019 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||06/27/2019|
|2018 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||11/08/2017|
|2017 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||11/06/2016|
|2015 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||12/09/2015|
|2016 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||12/08/2015|
|2014 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||10/16/2014|
|2013 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||01/24/2013|
|2012 Arkansas Annual Synar Report||11/29/2011|