Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some of the most frequently asked questions that our Division receives. If you cannot find something you are looking for please visit the Contact Us page to contact the correct unit regarding your question.​

Please choose the area for your question:

Arkansas Better Chance

Family Support

  • What are the low income childcare requirements?
    • Each adult in the household has to:
      • work 30 hours per week or be a full time student or
      • work part time and go to school part time that averages out to 30 hours per week.
  • What types of childcare are there?
    1. Transitional Employee Assistance childcare which is available to TEA clients receiving TEA benefits.
    2. Extended Support Services childcare which is available only to those TEA clients who gain employment and their TEA case is closed due to earnings.
    3. Low Income Childcare which is available to those who work 30 hours per week, be a full time student, or work part time and go to school part time that averages out to 30 hours per week.
  • How do I apply for childcare?
  • What is the income limit for childcare?
  • What do I do as a provider to participate in the voucher program? - Contact the Family Support Unit at 1-800-322-8176 for the Participant Agreement information and a detailed explanation. Please note that you have to have your child care license first.
  • Who do I contact to update rate information?
  • Who do I contact for information on authorizations or other information for foster care?
    • Please contact your DCFS caseworker for any information regarding Foster Care authorizations.
  • How long will I be on the waiting list?
    • As services become available in a particular county, the Program Eligibility Specialist will contact the applicants based on the availability of child care services.
  • How often will my case be re-evaluated once I am approved for child care services?
    • Every six (6) months.
  • Why do I have to apply for child care services every year in order to stay on the waiting list?
    • An application expires after one (1) year and a new application must be completed, so that we have a current waitlist of need. The applicant will also be required to provide proof of income, school attendance and other income eligibility data.
  • Why was I sent a denial letter?
    • The case record must document that each eligibility requirement has been met before services are granted.
  • How do I appeal a denial decision?
    • When an application is denied or an adverse action is taken on a case, the client will be informed in writing of the decision and of the right for a review of the decision. The notice to the applicant/client states that he/she has ten (10) days from the date of the Notice of Action in which to submit a request to for an internal review of the decision.
  • Why must my newborn be added to the waiting list if I am receiving assistance for my other child(ren)?
    • All children born or added to the household after the original approval date must be placed on the waiting list. If the recipient wishes to add children to the current case, the recipient must complete a new DCC-513 for the child(ren). The additional children will not be given priority over those already on the county waiting list.
  • When will my child care begin?
    • The effective date of child care services is the date that the Program Eligibility Specialist makes a determination that all eligibility requirements have been met (not the date on the application), and a Certificate of Authorization has been keyed into the child care system.
  • I am moving to another county, how do I change my child care provider?


Program Support

  • Where can I find information regarding Guaranteed Loans?
  • What is an Arkansas Economic Development Commission grant?
    • The Division and the Arkansas Economic Development Commission have a working partnership to assist in the development of quality child care programs in Arkansas. The Division provides the pre-application review for AEDC to determine the viability of potential child care projects. AEDC provides grant funding for construction or renovation of child care facilities which will serve a majority of low to moderate income children. These grants are available only to city or county governments.

Resource Center

Special Nutrition

  • Who can participate in the CACFP Programs?
  • How do I apply for one of the Special Nutrition Programs?
    • All of our program applications are now online. Please go to SNP Application Web site at: or call (501) 682-8869 for additional information.
  • What is a Day Care Home?
    • Day Care Home means an organized non-residential child care program for children enrolled in a private home, licensed or approved as a family or group day care home and under the auspices of a sponsoring organization. Sponsor information can be obtained from the Special Nutrition Program office at (501) 682-8869.
  • What is the Summer Food Service Program?
  • How can I become a Sponsor for the Summer Program?
    • Units of local government, camps, schools and private non-profit organizations can sponsor the SFSP. As a sponsor, you will attend the State agency’s training, locate eligible sites, hire, train and supervise staff, arrange meals to be prepared and delivered, monitor sites and prepare claims for reimbursement.
  • Who can qualify for National School Lunch Program?
  • Can you be on the School Breakfast Program and the Milk Program without being on the National School Lunch Program?
    • Yes.
  • If you need to file a complaint of discrimination, write or call:

    USDA, Director
    Office of Civil Rights Room 326-W, Whitten Building
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20250-9410
    (202) 720-5964 (Voice and TDD)